Thursday, June 12, 2008

When Size Matters

Today on Entertainment Weekly, 23 movies you would love to see on the big screen. It's not a bad list. I miss being so close to a repertory theatre when I lived in Montreal, and do hope there's one in Red Deer/Edmonton.

What were you not old enough to see/never got around to seeing in the theatre that you now wish you had? Come on, this'll be fun.

Star Wars (4-6) is a top pick for many; I actually have seen it in the theatre - when it was re-released in '96 (or was it '97?). But that was the re-jiggered version, and I had a very hard time balancing my joy with yelling "WHAT THE CRAP????" at my no-warnings first exposure to "Greedo shot first." My need for big-screen Indy was more than satisfied last week by Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

So, my picks:

Lawrence of Arabia. Do I really need to explain?

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
- can you imagine that climactic standoff in all the gigantic glory Leone intended??

Children of Men
- could'a seen it, didn't have the slush money (dirty $13 cinema). On the in-law's giant rear-projection was pretty good, but the cinematography is so mind-blowing that I really regret not having shelled out.

The Fifth Element. Such good lookin' at. Another one I'm old enough to have watched as nature intended, but didn't. >:(

The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra. The best tribute to B-sci-fi-monster films of the '50's that I've seen, plus it's delightfully funny and one of my favourite comedies. Seeing this large with a good crowd? Awesome.

2001: A Space Odyssey. Like Lawrence, do I really need to explain?

The Seven Samurai. I shouldn't have to explain this one, either.

My Neighbour Totoro. How much extra-magical fun would an ACTUALLY giant giant Totoro be? Too much! Come on, IMAX!

The Ghost in the Shell. Because great animation is always better when the scale and scope can blow you away in a more than metaphorical sense.

Ronin. Another I could have seen when it was released. Holy smokes, the car chases. The car chases. Jean Reno. Jean Reno.

The Sound of Music. Duh.

I think that's it. For now. Your turn!

No comments: