Friday, June 27, 2008

...and it keeps getting better

Even more to look forward to on the small screen this fall: news that Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (New Amsterdam) will be starring in Virtuality, a new show from Battlestar Galactica producers Ronald Moore and Michale Taylor about Earth's first true starship. I really enjoyed Coster-Waldau on New Amsterdam, and everyone (well, except my mother-in-law :D ) loves Battlestar, so I have as high hopes for this show as I do for its subsequent abrupt cancellation (it's on Fox). Have I become bitter, jaded, and cynical about the broadcast life of good network TV? Yes, yes I have. I just get too down when I hold out hope that such a series will actually last. After Journeyman bit the dust last fall with only 13 episodes, I gave up all expectations. The sudden deaths this year of New Amsterdam, Canterbury's Law, and Shark - all on Fox - didn't help my newfound cynicism one bit. Sigh.

In other news, Chris Noth, whose appeal has always been a mystery to me, will be replaced this fall on Law and Order: Criminal Intent by Jeff Goldblum, who I have always thought is the cat's best pyjamas. I'm less than wild about L&O as a franchise, and CI in particular, but, unfortunately, I will watch anything starring Jeff. I'll just be overjoyed to see him on TV again, while simultaneously depressed and grumpy the L&O flourishes while Goldblum's last series, Raines - a real cop show - was killed after seven episodes.

It's Friday. I'm still sick. I think I need some Jeff. I need to go to Blockbuster anyways, because they're about to charge Shall We Dansu to my account (which, in retrospect, maybe I should let them do...). Jurassic Park was on TV a couple of weeks ago, so maybe...gosh. Igby Goes Down? Far too much teen angst for a Friday. The Big Chill? I've never seen it, and it's an important film. Definitely and option. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou? Maybe, maybe. It does have a great soundtrack, and it has been four years since I last saw it, which is an acceptable turnaround time for Wes Anderson. Or perhaps I'll take the three-for-$9 deal and go kuh-RAY-zee!

Either way, you're guaranteed at least one more review before the super terrific happy hour goes on its forced month-long hiatus. You can all breathe a sigh of relief now.

No comments: