Saturday, March 14, 2009

Snap Judgment: Looks Like I Was Wrong!

I watched the entire first season of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles and concluded that it wasn't quite good enough to invest time in on a regular basis. It wasn't horrible, but it had too many logic inconsistencies to be good. So, I never bothered with the current season - also, in the fall, it was on at the same time as Chuck, and we don't have DVR, so definitely a no-go. Corey's been watching it with his brother, and keeps telling me, "you should come watch this episode of Terminator. This is the best sci-fi ever on TV, and perhaps the best show on TV right now, period." And I said, sure, Corey. Well, Terminator is now in the death slot of Fridays at 9 p.m, and doesn't conflict with anything I like to watch, so, last night, I watched it. It seems Corey wasn't being hyperbolic, and my new TV-related goal is to purchase this season upon its release so that I can watch it from start to finish. With beautifully tight, multi-layered writing, great additions to and elaborations on the Terminator mythos, and incredible acting, this one episode blew me away. I'm not ready to say it's superior to Life, which continues to be all out of bubblegum, but it's certainly equal. The emergence of new AI John Henry, who is definitely not SkyNet, the mystery surrounding the time travellers' conflicting memories on the date of Judgment Day, John's consistent and believable transformation into Future John, and the intriguing parallel of John's uncle's girlfriend being every bit as insane as Sarah became after meeting Kyle are as stories as quality as they are compelling. And did I mention the acting? I'd go so far as to say it's stellar! Especially Summer Glau (Firefly) as Terminator and John's future confidante (and, maybe, lover) Cameron. A formally trained ballerina, Glau uses her perfect control of her body to maximum effect - this lithe little woman somehow manages to move like something extremely heavy (like a robot!) in a way so subtle and natural it could easily go unnoticed. So here you have it, my plug for Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. I'm actually hoping the season ends early so it's released ASAP. And, you know, hoping its renewed for a third season.

No comments: