Thursday, March 12, 2009

Bits 'n Bites

I have a thing for soundtracks. A good or great soundtrack helps tell a story, and enhances any viewing or playing experience. I picked up the Halo 2 soundtrack at the library today. I really wanted the original Halo 'track, because it's still my favourite of the three. It was made, obviously, before Halo became a pop-culture phenomenon, and is unrestrained in its gameish-ness. Great stuff. Halo 2 upped the pop quotient considerably in terms of its sound, and I wasn't too nuts about it while playing the game, but that was OK because there was plenty to keep me distracted, like making sure my Marines didn't blow themselves up if I gave them rocket launchers.

Hearing a game soundtrack while not playing the game is a very different experience. Upon listening to Halo 2's twenty-one tracks while cleaning and eating lunch, I have to say, it's a great album. It's composed primarily of styles I've never been big on, those being metalcore (what it sounds like, a combination of heavy metal and hardcore) and electronica, but it's such good metalcore and electronica that I couldn't help but enjoy and appreciate it. A catchy and hilarious electronica track, peppered with one-way sound bites of Cortana alternately talking to the Chief and Guilty Spark, stands out in particular. At least, I'm pretty sure Guilty Spark's the recipient of some of that conversation - it's been about a year since I last played 2.

Yeah, I'll still take the Halo soundtrack over Halo 2...but not necessarily, since they're so different. My horizons are officially broadened.

On a completely unrelated note, the Edmonton Public Library doesn't own a single copy of the Kiefer Sutherland Three Musketeers - not even the Michael Yorke Three Musketeers, all they've got is a silent film version. What kind of respectable gigantic library doesn't have the Kiefer Three Musketeers? I mean, really. The librarian said she'd place an order, and to call back in six weeks. The ball is rolling. You're welcome, Edmonton. ;)

No comments: