Thursday, March 26, 2009

My Other Boat Is A Car: Small Favor

Out of all the things to enjoy about it, the single most enjoyable aspect of Jim Butcher's supernatural P.I. noir series The Dresden Files has to be the author's consistency. I don't just mean consistency of character, or tone, or things like that; what I mean is, I've just concluded the ninth and most recent book, and it was excellent. So was the eighth, and the seventh, and... His writing in and of itself hasn't necessarily improved, but my point is that every book in this series is good. No mediocre missteps, no "what the **** were you thinking, Butcher?", no "the last book was waaaaay better!". You pick up a Dresden Files book, and you know you're going to get something just as quality and well-written and entertaining and thoughtful as the last time you picked up such a tome. After nine volumes, that's impressive.

In other words, Small Favor is a worthy addition to the story of Harry Dresden, this one featuring Queen Mab of the Winter Fae calling in the second of three favors Harry has been bound to grant her. Throw our lovable resident legitimate businessman Gentleman Johnnie Marcone into the mix, along with the funniest freaky fairy-tale villains yet - yes, even better than the flaming-poop flying monkeys - and you've got one good tale. In other news, Harry finally finds someone to give the Holy Sword whose care he's been charged with since Death Masks - let's just say, he didn't offer it to who you thought he would. Small Favor also features the return of Sanya, as well as Kincaid and Ivy seen together again, and a fantastic appearance by Toot-Toot. Thomas is fighting at Harry's side once more, Molly's apprenticeship is continuing nicely, and Harry's respective friendships with Michael and Charity continue to evolve. The author's comedic skills haven't flagged either - Harry's sit-down with Bob the Skull early in the book had me making a scene of myself on the bus in ways I haven't since I used to listen to tapes of the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy radio play whilst in transit. Yep, nothing to dislike here. As well, the fights which could be more accurately called battles ...did I mention the Denariians are back, and travelling in even larger packs than they did in Death Masks? The fights are quality, hair-raising, and the standoff at the Shadd Aquarium is particularly notable.

I look forward to having a hundred bucks or so to drop on the whole series one day, I do!

No comments: