Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Super Terrific Zoidberg Hour All-Media Blowout

Some people think that once you're married, you can no longer do all the stuff you loved doing as a freewheelin' bachelor. Sure, that's true, if your marriage is unhealthy and you don't understand the concept of supporting your spouse. Corey and me, we don't swing that way.

Back when yours truly was a swingin' bachelor of the lady persuasion (I hate the word bachelorette because it just sounds dumb), I had my favourite media habit, exercised on a regular basis (i.e. at least monthly): I'd pop down to Blockbuster and take advantage of their "three old movies" deal by renting a trifecta in the spirit of TVO's Saturday Night at the Movies. That is to say, the films might have a very blatant connection, or the relation may be a bit more tenuous. Like the time my triple-feature was The Right Stuff, The Man who Fell to Earth, and The Magnificent Seven. Another example might be Bullitt, Blade Runner, and, I don't know, The Fifth Element. Usually the collections were far wierder and less obvious than those examples. I always got a huge kick out of it, some interesting times, and all for less than the price of one matinee at the local cineplex.

Nowdays, I don't find I like to isolate myself like that as often. But there are days, like today, when Corey is out on a job, and I find myself back in the enviable position of a day - and appartment - to myself. Today's lineup has thus far included a CBC radio interview with Robert Einstein - more on that in the next post! - and the U.S. premiere of Life on Mars, which I missed (just great). This will progress to this week's episode, which I also missed, and then to two feature films which I believe are key touchstones of cinematic influence, and essential viewing for anyone who considers themselves a student of film and culture. And you'll know what those were after I've watched them, and you'll probably either laugh or quote the great Internet philosopher Homestar Runner with a rousing rendition of "What. The. Crap??"...and my anecdote about what I liked to do for fun when I was single will make particular sense.

Variety. It's the spice of life! I recommend it.

No comments: