Wednesday, August 12, 2009

I Wish I Made That Up Just Now

So, I finally grit my teeth, seized some integrity as a critic, and watched a little Defying Gravity.

You know how a lot of cartoons use that editing device of cutting sharply to one shocked or angry person, then to their nemesis, then back again, accompanied by the sound dum! Dum! Duuuuuuuuuuum!? Like on The Simpsons, whenever Maggie encounters the unibrow baby? I couldn't find a clip, but you know what I'm talking about. It's a common comedic device used to enhance ridiculous situations.

Episode 2 of Deying Gravity used that device to end a very serious, cliffhanger scene in earnest.

If I were you, I wouldn't believe me either. I guess I just have too much faith in humanity to think that someone would every use that for "serious" storytelling.

Also in this episode, the mission commander boasted to a girl that he ran a whole five kilometers that morning, as if this is piddling distance is supposed to be an accomplishment for a freakin' astronaut, i.e. one of the most physically fit people in existence. I can run five kilometers no problem, and I don't even work out.

Suffice it to say, my lack of faith in this program was not misplaced. It really is Grey's Anatomy in space.

No comments: