Monday, July 13, 2009

The long-awaited ending of Heaven's Gate

Congratulations, sympathy, and much thanks to the brave soul who Moviepooped Heaven's Gate. This infamous 80's western screens in its entirety about once every four months on TVO's Saturday Night at the Movies - oh TVO, I miss you! - and I decided to take a stab at it before we left Ontario. I couldn't make it past the 2.5-hour mark, at which point there were still almost 1.5 hours left to go. Some movies are worth staying up until 2 in the morning to finish; this overly long, poorly-paced, minimally scripted and generally boring debacle is not one of them. If you have a deep and resentful loathing for Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time books, stay away from this film - it's the cinematic equivalent. (Haven't read The Wheel of Time? If you've ever watched Dragonball Z, it's the same idea.)

It's easy to be tempted to watch Heaven's Gate. Who can resist a western, least of all a western whose cast includes John Hurt, Christopher Walken, Sam Waterston, Brad Dourif, Jeff Bridges, and Isabelle Huppert? It sounds great on paper. This is the second most disappointing western I've ever seen...though I suppose I haven't really seen it, as I didn't sit through the whole thing. But now I know how it ends, so thank'ee, Moviepooper!

No comments: