Thursday, December 4, 2008

So This Is Not Christmas

I may be a masochist. I'm working, by choice, as a seasonal retail employee. Maybe it's because I've worked in the health care sector, but I don't find it too overwhelming, and most of my customers are really swell. What I'm not looking forward to, as I wait for my coffee to brew before I set off to another busy day, is the impressively large, constant string of Christmas songs that are not, well, Christmas songs.

Some people may justify it by saying, "well, it's not just Christmas this time of year, we need to be inclusive and tolerant." Okay. If that were true, I'd be hearing some nice Winter Solstice music (Enya, maybe? I love Enya!), and some kickin' Hanukkah tunes (I'm Jewish by birth, and I love klezmer), and, if there is sacred music associated with Ramadan, I'd be hearing that as well (and especially interested, as I have no idea if there is such a thing). Alas, under the current way of things, for eight hours a day it's nothing but songs about Santa or the weather, which have nothing to do with anything. So not only does the mall sound system bow to the pressure to pretend Christmas is not a Christian festival - wishing something away won't make it go, folks! - they also fail on any and all claims at "tolerance" and "inclusiveness" by not playing any tunes that lie about the natures of Winter Solstice, Hanukkah, Ramadan, etc. It could be so simple, really, except that too many people keep caving to the whining of those who have no religious affiliation, don't actually celebrate any sacred festivals, and seem to believe that, as a result, they shouldn't have to have any accidental exposure whatsoever to even the slightests suggestion that these things exist. So tolerant!

To quote, as I so often do, the great philosopher Homestar Runner: Sewiously.

No comments: