Monday, April 28, 2008

Flies and the undead go together like bullets and guns

Aaaah. I have now completed my film education. Yes, I have finally seen the The Lost Boys!

I have to admit, I was a bit disappointed, as I thought that it was about surfer vampires. Turns out that's the sequel. This one's about a vampire motorcycle gang, and motorcycle vampires are so passe.

Of course, I kid. The lack of surfers was the only dent in Lost Boys' supreme 1987 awesomeness. What with the epic meeting of the Coreys (Haim and Feldman) and Bill S. Preston, Esq. (Alex Winter) as a vampire biker goon, flying vampires, and perhaps the greatest grandpa on film (who also provides a truly perfect ending), it's one fun night in. Okay, the lack of surfers wasn't the only impediment to true awesomeness: director Joel Schumacher did a great job of neutering all of the badassedness cultivated by Kiefer Sutherland only a year before in Stand By Me. How can Kiefer as the leader of a vampire motorcycle gang not be the least bit intimidating? Ask Joel Schumacher, because he figured it out. It's almost impressive.

But hey. Kiefer's still in it. Combine him with the Coreys and Bill of Bill and Ted fame, and one awesome grandpa, and it's 80's fun at it's (almost) finest. Looking forward to the surfing sequel, featuring most of the original cast but especially Feldman.

No comments: